hidden places
The Ladies’ Chapel: a Baroque gem in the heart of Palermo
Between art, devotion, and female solidarity from the 16th century to today
Behind an elegant Baroque portal made of Billiemi stone, adorned with a marble medallion bearing the Marian monogram, lies one of Palermo’s most refined oratories: the Ladies’ Chapel.
Founded in 1595 by the Congregation of the Ladies of the Giardinello at the Ponticello, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Expectation of Childbirth, the chapel represents a perfect example of Sicilian Baroque. The association, formed by noblewomen of the time, was dedicated to helping pregnant women and newborns from underprivileged families in the Albergheria district. During major festivities, they distributed “canestri”, baskets of handmade layettes produced by the sisters. The community was led by a “Governatrice”, an annually elected head among the ladies. Among the most illustrious were Maria Adelaide of Habsburg, Queen Margherita of Savoy, and Queen Elena. The congregation, with social aims, is still active today.
Beyond the entrance, a corridor leads to a porticoed gallery overlooking, on one side, the small garden adorned with 19th-century majolica floors, and on the other, the windows of the congregation’s hall. From here, one enters a first room displaying a replica of Raphael’s Spasimo di Sicilia, now housed at the Prado Museum in Madrid. Continuing onward, one reaches the actual oratory, the artistic heart of the complex.
The rectangular-shaped chapel is entirely decorated by the painter Antonio Grano (1660–1718). The walls feature optical illusions of architecture and reliefs, while the ceiling hosts the Triumph of the Virgin and six episodes from the childhood of Jesus, including the Nativity, the Adoration of the Magi, and the Flight into Egypt. On the side walls appear the Wedding at Cana and the Marriage of the Virgin, accompanied by Marian inscriptions.
Along the room’s perimeter alternate round and hexagonal canvases that depict, respectively, episodes from the life of the Virgin, the Mysteries of the Rosary, and the Passion of Christ. The scenes, arranged in narrative order, guide the viewer’s gaze from the Virgin of the Rosary to the Last Supper, up to the Resurrection and Ascension.
The altar, adorned with faux marble and trompe-l’oeil decorations, houses a delicate image of the Madonna del Parto from the 18th century, enclosed in a coeval gilded frame. Completing the ensemble are precious 18th-century wooden furnishings inlaid with the Marian monogram, giving the space an intimate and solemn charm.
Opening:
on the occasion of special events and, from January to June, every first Sunday of the month during the celebration of Holy Mass at 11:30 a.m.